Next to treating pimples and acne, dealing with dandruff is one of the most frustrating things existing under the sun. Hell breaks loose from autumn to spring when the phenomena come in its best forms with dry skin associated with it. You try different shampoos yet the problem persists. Yes, we do understand how it feels. And, because of that, we present you some of the best natural treatments for dandruff. Trust us, they are inexpensive as well!
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our disclaimer to know more.
1. Fenugreek seeds
Quite common in Indian households, fenugreek seeds can actually wonder for your hair, apart from adding aroma to your meals. Replete with antibacterial and antifungal properties, these aromatic seeds help in fighting against the fungi that promote the production of dandruff. These seeds are also rich in iron, potassium, protein, Vitamin C, lecithin and nicotinic acid. These nutrients have innumerable benefits for your hair, among which fighting against the dandruff is a prominent one.
- Take two tbsps of fenugreek seeds soaked overnight.
- Next morning, grind the seeds to form a paste.
- Apply this paste, both, on your hair and scalp.
- Let it stay for around 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition your hair. Make sure to use a mild shampoo.
- Let the hair air-dry.
2. Baking Soda
Yes, that can do good for your hair apart from helping you bake awesome cakes! Easily available, baking soda is also one of the best natural treatments for dandruff. It helps in the elimination of excess sebum, thus produced by your scalp. Without drying your hair, it helps soothing itchy scalp along with balancing the pH level of your scalp. One the biggest reasons due to which it’s one of the best natural treatments for dandruff is because of being naturally antiseptic. This helps in treating the basic fungal infection that primarily causes the growth of dandruff.
- Take 2-3 tsp of baking soda.
- Take one cup of lukewarm water.
- Mix the soda in it.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp.
- Massage generously and let it remain for around two minutes.
- Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
Comprising of antibacterial properties and being a natural antiseptic, onion juice helps cleansing scalp, curing dandruff and protecting your scalp from several infections. The juice provides nutrients as well as adds strength to your hair roots. It also stimulates blood circulation which further helps in curing the most unwanted hair fall.
- Cut onions into big and thick pieces.
- Grind these pieces to form a paste.
- Take this paste and rub it on your scalp and leave it for around 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly.
4. Coconut Oil
Enriched with lauric acid, Vitamin E, K, protein and capric acid, coconut oil also gets listed among some of the best natural treatments for dandruff. it helps in moisturizing your hair by penetrating deep into your hair shafts. With its deep conditioning effect, coconut oil offers a clean scalp which helps keep dandruff away. Along with that, it helps in removing the built-up sebum, dirt and dead skin, thus keeping your tresses healthy and happy.
- Shampoo your hair. DO NOT use a conditioner.
- Part your hair into two halves, while it’s still slightly damp.
- Apply coconut oil to your hair, making sure to spread the oil from deep roots to tips.
- Use a shower cap and cover your head. You can also use a warm towel, warmed using a blow dryer. The warmth promotes more penetration.
- Let it be for around 30 minutes or even overnight.
- Use a shampoo and wash off your hair thoroughly. Make sure not to leave any residue of the oil.
5. Apple cider vinegar
Enriched with antibacterial as well as antifungal properties, apple cider vinegar kills almost any kind of dandruff causing fungi, thus curbing the problem in its initial step. It also helps in balancing the pH level of your scalp along with helping to deeply cleanse your scalp and, of course, your hair.
Adding to that, its anti-inflammatory properties help soothing irritating and inflammatory scalp. Quite unknown to many, oily scalp often becomes the main reason for scalp flaking. Targeting this, apple cider vinegar helps in balancing oil production of your scalp.’
- Take 3 tbsps of apple cider vinegar.
- Massage it gently into your scalp.
- Leave it for around 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair using a mild shampoo.
- Finish off the process with a conditioner.
- Repeat this for once to twice per week.
Enriched with Vitamin C, the application of lemon is also one of the best natural treatments for dandruff. The citric acid thus present in it helps fighting dandruff from the very roots of your hair follicles. The antibacterial properties further help against the dandruff-causing fungus.
- Take 2 tbsps of lemon juice.
- Massage it into your scalp.
- Keep it for around 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with plain water.
- Take another tsp of lemon juice.
- Mix it with a cup of water.
- Now rinse your hair with this mixture.
- Repeat this every day or till dandruff disappears.
Apart from being one of the best natural treatments for pimples, garlic can also be a magical solution for your dandruff as well. Its essential nutrients help in regulating and controlling the sebum production. Along with that, it also helps in improving your scalp blood circulation and in strengthening the roots of the hair. It also helps in protecting the hair follicles, thus helping to produce strong, thick and shiny tresses.
- Take 6 cloves of garlic.
- Crush them. Crushing them forms allicin that fights against dandruff.
- Take a tbsp of lemon juice.
- Take 2 tbsp of the crushed garlic paste.
- Mix the two and apply it on your scalp.
- Leave it for around 20-30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
For sensitive skin, dilute the garlic paste.
Did you try any of these natural treatments for dandruff? If yes, tell us about your experience in the comments. Also, if you know about some more tips share it with us. And finally, don’t forget to tag or share this post with those who are badly suffering from dandruff. Let’s share the happiness!